Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Rocket Stove, by StoveTec


When Preppers speak of "value", they don't necessarily mean inexpensive or cheap.  To us, "real value" is in durability, efficiency, and not too damaging to the wallet.  This is just what I found when I tested a Rocket Stove, made by StoveTec.

The history and mission behind StoveTec, or the parent company, "EcoZoom", is impressive in its own rights and probably enough to encourage me to purchase from them, but I needed to run my tests on the product.  

The company claims that their stoves "burn cleaner, use less fuel, and are more economical than any other stove of their kind".  So, I began my tests.
 
I always look forward to any product testing that involves FOOD.  This time was no different, the only problem was "what to cook".  With the help of my wife, I decided make brunch.  I'd brew some coffee and deep fry some Scones.  Now, I'm hearing someone say, "you don't deep fry Scones".  To which I must answer, "you haven't lived until you've tried my deep-fried Scones".  But would this little Rocket Stove do the job, with minimal fuel, like they say?

Living in pine tree covered mountains has its perks like an abundance of fuel, but I chose to walk the yard and collect several handfuls of twigs instead.  This was to be my only fuel for our mid-week brunch.

I started the fire, as they instructed, and immediately started brewing the coffee.  The pot was perking in short order.  When it was fully brewed, I added some more twigs and started my Scones. The only problem I encountered was in applying a uniform heat to my cast iron skillet.  So, I added the metal heat shield provided and that problem was resolved.  I actually had to reduce the amount of fuel, because the flame was too hot.  Even with this reduction in fuel, my pan was fully heated and finished cooking in record time. So, with only a few twigs I was able to deep fry the Scones.  

I finished my review of the StoveTec Rocket Stove with a taste test (my favorite part).  A cup of hot coffee and a couple of Scones, (ok... I had four Scones and two cups of coffee).  

My summation of the StoveTec Rocket Stove is that it lives up to the claims made by the manufacturer, of using very little fuel, producing a great deal of heat and very little smoke.  The later is a huge plus for any Prepper who doesn't want to send smoke signals to everyone in his/her neighborhood, alerting them to the fact that they have food.  The fact that the StoveTec uses very little fuel is a big plus, but what I liked was that, in addition to small pieces of wood kindling, the StoveTec Rocket Stove is able to use fuel that can be found everywhere and is normally be overlooked, such as; twigs, dried plant stems, dried corn cobs, grass, roots, dung, and on the two door model, it can use charcoal or charcoal briquettes.

The stove is Lightweight, has an Abrasion-Resistant Combustion Chamber, Cast Iron Top which Heats Pots Faster, Easy-to-Clean Steel Body, Sturdy Handles for Easy Movement, Steel Shelf to Support Fuel and Pot Skirt for Maximum Efficiency.

Some of the benefits:

Boils 5 Litres of Water in 20 Minutes
Spend Less Time Cooking
Uses 40-50% Less Fuel
Spend Less Time Collecting Wood
Spend Less Money Buying Wood
Burns 50-70% Cleaner
Breathe Less Smoke, fewer Health Risks

Whether you shelter in place of bug-out, this is one item that you should have.  In addition to cooking, the StoveTec Rocket Stove also serves as an excellent heat source.  All this with only a handful of fuel. 

So, if you don't have one already, then you need to buy one ASAP.  I might even through in my recipe for Deep Fried Scones if you ask nicely!  

No comments:

Post a Comment